Ghost Towns and Mines

 
 






Ballarat was founded in 1896 as a supply point for various mines in the Panamint Mountains. The town was named after the famous gold mining town in Australia. At its peak Ballarat had over 400 residents, seven saloons, three hotels, a Wells Fargo station, a post office, a school, a jail and a morgue.


The town began to decline when the Ratcliffe Mine shut down and other mines gradually played out. In 1917 the post office closed and only a handful of people remained in the town.


Currently Ballarat has at least one permanent resident and several part time residents. The original buildings, which were mostly made of adobe, are severely decayed.


Posted August 2016.




Return to Ghost Towns list

 

BALLARAT, CA