Ghost Towns and Mines

 
 


Mining first started in this area in 1887, but didn’t really get going until 1895. By 1897 the townsite was laid out. The first post office opened in 1890, and by 1905 the town had a population of 300. Mining continued off and on into the 1920s. The mill was dismantled in 1947.


Ichthyosaur fossils were discovered in a nearby canyon in 1928. Today the town, mine and mill, and the fossil site are all protected as the Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park.




Last updated June 2016.



Return to Ghost Towns list

 

Berlin, NV