Ghost Towns and Mines

 
 










Some prospecting took place here in the 1880s, and the original mining camp was called Lime Point. That was abandoned, but in 1902 silver was discovered and the new camp was called Hornsilver. There was no water in the area so ore had to be shipped to Lida for milling. The nearest source of supplies was 250 miles away. The cost of shipping supplies and ore made the mines unprofitable and the settlement was abandoned again within a year.


In 1905 the Great Western Mine Company made a rich new silver strike that sparked a new boom. Tents sprang up and eventually were replaced with wooden buildings, and by 1908 Hornsilver was a real town, with a post office, newspaper saloons and other businesses. The peak population was about 1000, with more than 225 buildings, tents and shacks.


Claim jumping and subsequent legal battles caused considerably instability and contributed to the frequent closures of the mines. There were several booms and busts. In 1927 J.W. Dunfee discovered gold and soon more gold was being mined than silver. In 1932 the town was renamed Gold Point. The Dunfee mine reopened after being closed during WWII, and continued operating on a smaller scale until a cave-in in the 1960s. This was the last significant mining operation in Gold Point.


Two of Gold Point’s residents, Harry DeVotie and Harry Wiley, eventually served in the Nevada State Senate. Senator Wiley’s wife Ora Mae was the town’s postmistress from 1942 to 1967. In 1968 the post office closed.


Most of the town is currently owned by Herb Robbins, who began stabilizing the buildings in 1979. He rents out refurbished miner’s cabins and operates a bar and grill in the former Hornsilver telephone building.








Click here to see extensive photos of the  Gold Point, NV - Mines and Mills





Last updated August 2016, with photos from 1988 and 2016.




Return to Ghost Towns list

 

Gold Point, NV