Ghost Towns and Mines

 
 

A ghost town on the eastern shore of Owens Lake, Keeler was once the southern terminus of the Carson & Colorado Railroad, later known as the Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge. As of 2010, there were still about 66 people living in Keeler.


The town was formed in 1880 when a new mill was constructed there for processing ore from the Cerro Gordo mines. Various other mines brought brief boom times to the town, but by the late 1950’s all mining had ceased. The narrow gauge discontinued service in 1960 and the tracks were removed a short time later.


The city of Los Angeles began taking water from Owens Lake in the 1920’s, causing the lake to eventually dry up. It is now mostly an alkali flat.


Posted August 2011.



Return to Ghost Towns list

Keeler, CA