Ghost Towns and Mines

 
 


Gold was first discovered here in the 1860s but production didn’t take off until later. The town was founded by Freemasons shortly after the turn of the century. At its peak there were about 1000 people here. The post office closed for good in 1927.


There was a small settlement higher up the canyon called “upper town”. The main site is called “middle town” and there was another site down the canyon called “lower town”. Most of the remaining ruins are at middle town.


Posted August 2013.




Return to Ghost Towns list

 

MASONIC, CA