Ghost Towns and Mines

 
 


This former Pony Express station and stagecoach stop is on State Road 361, about a mile south of Highway 50. The original building was abandoned partially dismantled after the Gold Rush.


The station was purchased from the BLM in 1942 and restoration began. The bar and cafe opened ten years later to booming business on the Lincoln Highway. In 1962 the state rerouted the highway north about a mile north and business dropped off. In the years that followed, the property was sold and resold several times. There was still no electricity or phones, and the nearest town was fifty miles away.


The current owners purchased the property in 1984 and restored it with the help of Churchill County and the museum. In addition to the bar they have a single gas pump (a real life-saver in this remote area!), a small motel, and a few historic artifacts from the local area.



Posted September 2014.



Return to Ghost Towns list

 

Middlegate, NV