Ghost Towns and Mines

 
 

Gold was first discovered here in 1870, and a mining camp was set up in 1874. The town peaked a couple years later with a population of about 1000. But the ore ran out and the mines shut down in 1881. The town withered soon after. Attempts to reopen the mines or rework old tailings have taken place sporadically over the years.


Currently there is at least one occupied home in Tybo, and the resident keeps an eye on things. One of the old cabins has recently been rebuilt, apparently for use as a weekend retreat. A crumbling stone building has had a new roof added, and some attempt has been made to stabilize some other structures.


Posted August 2009.



Return to Ghost Towns list

Tybo, NV